Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Using Courtesy Expression

Task 1:
Listen to the conversation between two friends at a community centre. As you listen, fill in the blanks with the courtesy expressions you hear.
Courtesy expressions are phrases that are commonly used in daily interactions. They are used in a variety of social situations to greet people and respond to greetings, to signal the end of conversations, to say goodbye, and to sympathize, apologize, and express and respond to thanks.
Lynn: Hi, Julie. How's you going ?
Julie:Pretty good. How about you?
Lynn: Not bad .
Julie: Listen, thank so much for referring me to Lorraine Holt. I met with her yesterday and she was very impressed with my resumé!
Lynn: It was my pleasure. I was happy to do it
Julie: She was going to pass my resumé on to someone else she knows who is hiring right now.
Lynn: That's wonderful, Julie!
Julie: I’ll let you know what happens.
Lynn: Great. I hope you get the job. By the way, how is your cat doing?
Julie: Oh, poor Tiger. He got to the point where he wasn’t eating or drinking so we had to put him to sleep.
Lynn: Oh, Julie, I'm so sorry. Tiger was a wonderful cat.
Julie: Yes, he was. I miss him so much. Anyway, I should get going. Mark is picking me up and he’s probably in the parking lot. Thanks again for you help.
Lynn: Don't mention it.
Julie:Have a great weekend.
Lynn: You too.  
Julie: Bye.
Lynn: Bye.  

Task 2:
Think and write other expressions that you are familiar with for the purposes below.

A.   Greetings & Responding to Greetings
Hi there, how are you?
Good, how about you.
Not bad.
B.   Responding to Bad News 
I'm sorry to hear that. I really feel sad about it.
C.   Signaling the End of a Conversation
Wish you have a good day.
D.    Responding to Good News
I'm happy to hear that. 
E.  Responding to Bad News 
Same to B
F.   Expressing Thanks
Thank so much for that.
G.   Saying Goodbye
Have a nice day, see you next time.
H.   Requesting a favour
Could you do me a favour to do sth


Task 3:
 Let’s practice hypothetical situations. Imagine you are not feeling well and need to call one of your peers at work to cover for you.
Your talk should include the following details:
  • Greeting
  • Stating the purpose of your call
  • Explaining the situation briefly
  • Expressing thanks
  • Closing the conversation


Once you are ready, click on this link and record your “imagined” phone call conversation; make sure not to exceed 2 to 3 minutes.

A: Hi, B. Hear you here.
B: Hi,A. How's you going?
A: Not bad, how about you?
B: Not good, I felt so frustrated.
A: I'm sorry to hear it. What's happy?
B: I was laid off  yesterday. When I was told this notice, I was totally shocking. It's unbelievable, you know, it was the only resource of my living.
A: I know, I know. I'm sorry to hear it. It sounds terrible. But maybe you'll find better job immidiently.






No comments:

Post a Comment